For the quarter ended January 2023, Urban Outfitters (URBN) reported revenue of $1.38 billion, up 3.9% over the same period last year. EPS came in at $0.39, compared to $0.41 in the year-ago quarter.
The reported revenue represents a surprise of +1.45% over the Zacks Consensus Estimate of $1.36 billion. With the consensus EPS estimate being $0.39, the company has not delivered EPS surprise.
While investors scrutinize revenue and earnings changes year-over-year and how they compare with Wall Street expectations to determine their next move, some key metrics always offer a more accurate picture of a company’s financial health.
Since these metrics play a crucial role in driving the top- and bottom-line numbers, comparing them with the year-ago numbers and what analysts estimated about them helps investors better project a stock’s price performance.
Here is how Urban Outfitters performed in the just reported quarter in terms of the metrics most widely monitored and projected by Wall Street analysts:
- Comparable store sales-Retail Operations-YoY change: 3% versus 2.3% estimated by four analysts on average.
- Comparable store sales-Retail Operations-Free People Stores-YoY change: 15% compared to the 11.77% average estimate based on three analysts.
- Comparable store sales-Retail Operations-Urban Outfitters-YoY change: -10% compared to the -10.3% average estimate based on three analysts.
- Comparable store sales-Retail Operations-Anthropologie Stores-YoY change: 9% versus the three-analyst average estimate of 7.57%.
- Net sales by brand-Urban Outfitters Stores: $425.64 million versus $419.12 million estimated by four analysts on average. Compared to the year-ago quarter, this number represents a -10.3% change.
- Net sales by brand-Anthropologie Stores: $602.87 million versus $601.35 million estimated by four analysts on average. Compared to the year-ago quarter, this number represents a +7.9% change.
- Net sales by brand-Free People Stores: $306.15 million versus the three-analyst average estimate of $303.50 million. The reported number represents a year-over-year change of +10.9%.
- Net sales by brand – Nuuly: $42.73 million versus $32.27 million estimated by three analysts on average.
View all Key Company Metrics for Urban Outfitters here>>>
Shares of Urban Outfitters have returned +1.2% over the past month versus the Zacks S&P 500 composite’s -2% change. The stock currently has a Zacks Rank #2 (Buy), indicating that it could outperform the broader market in the near term.
Zacks Names “Single Best Pick to Double”
From thousands of stocks, 5 Zacks experts each have chosen their favorite to skyrocket +100% or more in months to come. From those 5, Director of Research Sheraz Mian hand-picks one to have the most explosive upside of all.
It’s a little-known chemical company that’s up 65% over last year, yet still dirt cheap. With unrelenting demand, soaring 2022 earnings estimates, and $1.5 billion for repurchasing shares, retail investors could jump in at any time.
This company could rival or surpass other recent Zacks’ Stocks Set to Double like Boston Beer Company which shot up +143.0% in little more than 9 months and NVIDIA which boomed +175.9% in one year.
Free: See Our Top Stock and 4 Runners Up >>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
Urban Outfitters, Inc. (URBN) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.